It seems so basic to choose relationships that are positive and supportive but we sometimes don’t realize until things go sideways, just how important it is to know upfront what we expect and what we are willing to contribute to make them successful.
The topic of relationship comes up a lot when we think of change. That’s because our connection with friends and family are so fluid and shifting all of the time. Especially when things get challenging it is so critical to have people surrounding us who ‘get us’ and also know when to hold back or have those difficult conversations with us when needed.
With this said, these five tips come to mind when I think about relationship and how to ensure you are able to give and receive support when it’s most needed.
1. Handle with care. Tend to your relationshipsas you would your own garden, with love, attention, consistency and care. Be open to them changing over time.
2. Find comfort in the give and take. Never let others fly too close to the sun. Protect them with love and honesty and request that they do the same for you.
3. Be open to sharing. Surround yourself with people who make you laugh and let you cry. Share your hopes and dreams, challenges and failures with each other as you find shades of yourselves in one another.
4. Choose them wisely. Seek relationships that support your well-being and stop wasting your energy with those who are unable to see the beauty in your journey. Be willing to let them go if they are no longer serving the best in both of you.
5. Seek authenticity. Cherish those who listen to what you have to say with an open heart and a discerning ear. They are your biggest allies. Steadfast in their loyalty but not afraid to you call you out on your own BS.
The most important relationships are the ones that refrain from coddling and appeasing you. They are in your life for a reason. To challenge you to see yourself from a different angle and be who you are, unapologetically.
These are the ones that will show you your truth.
For more information on coaching to help you navigate change go to https://noellevan.com/work-with-me and let’s connect.